Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thursday Things

I'm calling this post "Thursday Things" because I have so much to share and none of it is technically related to writing or books (ie, the purpose of this blog) so I'm taking a page from The Brown Eyed Baker (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/) with her Friday Things musings :)
  • I'm excited (and terrified) to announce that I've signed up for the Board Editors of the Life Sciences (BELS) exam, which will take place at Rowan University on September 14, 2013. In case you don't know anything about it, the BELS is an exam that comes to our area maybe once every two years. According to information on the BELS Web site, "the BELS was founded in 1991 to evaluate the proficiency of manuscript editors in the life sciences and to award credentials similar to those obtainable in other professions." So, I'm taking the test to see how my editing skills stack up. Wish me luck!!
  • The admission process for Seton Hill is going swimmingly, by which I mean that I've done NOTHING in WEEKS. (AH!) I really need to get everything finished; I still have my letter of intent to revise... because who knew that they wanted you to answer specific questions, I thought I could just write about my goals and aspirations! I also have to submit my 10-page writing sample, which I haven't even started yet. BUT, I do know what I'm writing about so at least that's a step in the right direction! Due date for all of my materials is September 23, which is only 46 days away. I'm totally screwed. :)
  • The reason I have no time for anything anymore is because the hubby and I adopted a puppy! His name is Buddy and we think he's a Jack Russell/ Wippet/ Hound/ some other mix. He has a TON of energy and he always wants to play. :) There are a few funny things about Buddy, though....
    • He's a rescue dog, which means that he was found somewhere in Georgia and put in a high-kill shelter. Some nice people took him out and drove him up the East Coast to find a family. Therefore...
    • Buddy is afraid of cars. Getting into them, stationary cars, moving cars, all cars. Every time we try to take him for a ride to go to the park it's a fight to get him in and out of the car!
    • Buddy is also afraid of the shower and rain. I don't know why, but I'm guessing he had a pretty traumatic experience either in a shower or by being outside in bad weather. Unfortunately we only have a shower, not a bathtub, so we invested in some dry shampoo so that he won't have to endure the evil shower between groomings. :) poor baby!
    • He also has separation anxiety. He will literally be in a sound sleep, and the moment one of us moves to go into another room, he will wake up and follow us. It's so heartbreaking to go to work, knowing he will sit there and cry for a long time after we're gone. I hate it! But, he's definitely starting to get better. Last night he went into the living room when hubby and I were in the kitchen and he stayed there for about 5 minutes before we called him back in. It's progress! He's a puppy so we don't want him out of our sight for too long, but 5-minute intervals is much better than what he had been doing..... which was scratching at the bathroom door whenever one of us went in. :)
  • Our trip to Florida was a lot of fun, and I'm just getting back into the swing of everything again. It's crazy how so much changes yet so much is the same after a week away. The pumpkin patch now has a huge orange pumpkin where we had left a smaller, yellow one. My dad grew a beard, and Buddy found a cool new dog park to explore while I was gone. But, my workload and all of the drama is still here and still the same, and it feels like I hardly went away at all! Crazy how that happens :) BUT, it was wonderful to spend time with my Mom-Mom (double mom!) and see all of the places she frequents. We went to the Gulf, to Sholom Park, to Rainbow Springs, and to "the Square," which was unfortunately under construction during our visit. It was great, though, and getting to watch my beautiful niece experience new things was the best part of all. She LOVED the pools and had so much fun playing with everyone and making new friends with all of the boys at the restaurants hahahaha. What a flirt. ;)
  • I've been seriously considering the trend of making pretty crafts out of book pages. One of my friends just posted a blog about making beautiful flowers like you'd see in Anthropologie: http://littlethoughtsaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-crafts-in-library.html. I think that is SO COOL and I really want to give it a shot. Has anyone ever made anything like this? I'm afraid to tear apart my books ( :'( ) but I know it would transform them into something way cooler than a dust trap. What to do, what to do?! :)

Hope you have a wonderful day today full of all of your favorite things!

1 comment:

  1. Instead of tearing apart a good book, I would go to a library book sale and find some older books that are already on their way out. That's what I did, the book's binding was dead.

    Well since I want to meet Buddy we'll have to get together soon. I'll bring the ripped up book, you provide the glue and I'll teach you how to make them!

    ReplyDelete