Friday, July 5, 2013

The Kindle Paperwhite

The Kindle Paperwhite..... and why I might never again buy another paperback book (unless it's SUPER on sale--like, free-- and I've been dying to read it but it isn't available on Kindle).

Needless to say, I love my Paperwhite. There should be a support group for this.

I'm going to spend this blog telling you why you need to get one if you don't have an e-reader, or if you do have an e-reader, why you need to switch to the Paperwhite. I don't know how to upload images to blogs yet, but I'll work on it. For now, though, let me give you my main highlights.

1. APPEARANCE
It's slim, lightweight, and extremely portable. I love the magnetic case that turns it on and off automatically and protects the screen/device from life, scratches, and wear & tear.

2. FUNCTIONALITY
I used to drive approximately 30 minutes (one way) to the nearest mall area to the Barnes and Nobel when I was hankering for new book. Now, I can log on to Amazon from any computer and access my account, check out what's new and on sale and buy with one click and instantly download to the device.
***Please note, this is also a bad thing. Book addicts like me can only be controlled by the depth of our bank accounts. Common sense, practicality, and the real world and how we should be living in it play little to no role in these book purchase decisions.***

3. COST
Speaking of cost, though, let's quickly review some numbers. According to the Kindle site, "Over 600,000 books are less than $4.99; over a million are less than $9.99." You can save roughly 40% to 60% off brand new releases if you buy them digitally versus hard copy. Kindle users also have access to the free books in the public domain..... you know, all those classics you put on your "read before I die" bucket list that you keep avoiding (Crime and Punishment, anyone?). Jane Austen and Charles Dickens are among the many classic authors you can get for free. Speaking of free books, I recently headed over to my local library and reupped my library card so that I could borrow books for my Kindle from the "Overdrive" and "Freading" sites. SUPER cool if you want something newer (or older) and don't want to spend the money buying it! However, be warned that you could be placed in queue if a lot of people want the same book you're trying to borrow. Borrowing times can be adjusted-- you can choose a 7-day or 14-day rental period in your settings.

So, those are the general reasons why you should switch to an eReader if you're still in the Stone Age of buying printed books. If you're a seasoned eReader or want to get into it, this is why you should get the Paperwhite.

1. IT'S THE eREADER FOR REAL READERS
Unlike other tablets, the Paperwhite has an eInk screen that is easy on the eyes and does not cause glare in the sun. The Nook has an eInk reader available, but it was really tiny and it didn't feel right to me--I wanted something the size of a paperback novel (but, that was a personal choice). It also didn't have a backlight, which the Paperwhite does, for those of us who like to read on planes or while our spouses are snoozing next to us. Finally, no fancy color screen here... it's a sepia'ish background with black text, just like the pages of a hard copy book. Novel-readers only need apply... You magazine/ picture book fanatics should consider something else entirely so you can appreciate the colors and pictures the way they were intended.
Therefore, to sum it up, the only thing that you can do on the Paperwhite is read. For some of you, that may be a problem.... I can hear you now, "What do you mean I can't check my email, send pictures, blog, go on Facebook?" To you connectaholics, I say this: First of all, relax. Deep breaths. Reading a book is about the experience of being lost in the pages of the book. You don't always have to be connected to everyone in the world at every moment. Consider that it might be good for you--and for others--if you laid off of Facebook for a few hours. (Yes, minute-by-minute status updaters... I'm talking to you.) Second, my question to you would be to ask how many devices you have that can access the Internet. Do you have a smart phone? A color tablet of some sort? A computer? Can your coffee machine go online, too? How many things in your life do you need that all do the same function? If your job is anything like mine (ie, desk job with 8 hours/day in front of a computer) sometimes it's a great thing to "unplug" with something that won't put you in an optometrist's office for eye strain. Think about it. Our lives are full of gadgets and HDTVs and cell phones; we place such little value on the written word and how it helps us in life. Just try and sit down with a book-- ONLY a book-- for an hour or two. You'll be amazed at how much more time you would be willing to invest!

2. ACCESS TO AMAZON/UPLOAD POTENTIAL FOR OTHER SOURCES
One of the things I love most about the Paperwhite is that I love Amazon. I'm an Amazon freak; I'm on there at least twice a day for no other reason but to browse-- and buy--books. I love the daily deals, I love the Kindle books for $3.99 and under; sometimes I'll check out a new author because the book is only $0.99, which has led to some amazing book experiences and set me on the road to a great series or a great author I HAVE to follow. I'll be honest, my reading wheelhouse has grown exponentially since I've gotten my Paperwhite because I'm willing to drop the dollar on a new book just to see if it's any good. It helps that I can download a sample first to really see if it's even something I could make it 10 pages through first, of course. :)
The Nook, on the other hand, limits you to buying directly from Barnes & Nobel. Don't get me wrong, I love B&N as much as the next guy (skinny caramel mocha anyone?) but I don't like being told what to do, where to buy from, etc. I want choices. And for me, the Kindle Paperwhite has the most open forum and general compatibility settings than any B&N tablet. Maybe things have changed, but when I was shopping for my first eReader in Nov 2012 that's what I was told.

3. OTHER FUN AND INTERESTING FEATURES
You can go on the Kindle Paperwhite Web site for a detailed list, but my favorite features are (1) the light--I can't say enough great things about being able to read ANYWHERE without finding a flashlight or glare from the sun (2) the automatic "bookmarking" when you close out of a book--so cool, you can be in the middle of all of your books and, as soon as you open up that particular story again, it's exactly where you left off. I LOVE not having to try to remember where I ended! (3) The long battery life is an awesome feature; I can go weeks without charging it, especially when I'm not using a high setting on the light. (4) I also love the adjustable features-- changing the text font, size, etc. I don't do this often for myself, but if I was to loan to my mother/father, they might appreciate a larger font without having to wear glasses or buy a special hard back book with size 14 font. (5) The ability to create "collections" is a new-to-me asset that I recently played with. What a great way to stay organized! You can create any collections you want, by author name, genre, etc and group all of your listed books according to where they fit. I love it!

FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: I am not a representative of Amazon or Kindle Paperwhite and receive no financial compensation whatsoever for my very superior opinion on this product. I'm just an avid fan trying to share information about the coolest eReader on the market (so far). Amazon has no idea I wrote about this and I was not asked to create a review of it.
 
SO GO GET ONE!! Not the 3G, though, and don't worry about the ads... they are not bothersome at all. Save your money for more books!

No comments:

Post a Comment